Sunday, February 20, 2011

Profound Words From a Man Who Loved God

A.W. Tozer- a name familiar to anyone who has walked in Christian circles for very long. I am sure that I read some Tozer at some point during Bible college, but seeing as how my brain was totally overloaded at that time I don't remember any of his words really sticking out to me or sticking with me. This weekend I have been reading some of Tozer's well loved works. Won't you allow me to share with you some of my favorite quotes...

"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."

"God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves."

"It is doubtful that God can use a man greatly until he hurts him deeply."

"The yearning to know what cannot be known, to comprehend the incomprehensible, to touch and taste the unapproachable, arises from the image of God in the nature of man. Deep calleth unto deep, and though polluted and landlocked by the mighty disaster theologians call the Fall, the soul senses it's origin and longs to return to it's source."

"The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us."

"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, 'Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away with me. Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long"

I hope that gives you some food for thought today. Do you have any favorite Tozer quotes to share?

1 comment:

  1. He was such a neat man! Thanks for sharing these quotes! I'll type some of my favorite up for you some time :) And next time I visit Mama, I really want to see you too! it's been ages!

    ReplyDelete